How to Create a Website That Ranks High in Search Engines
- 6 min read
- Karla Sambolić
Elements of a high ranking websiteFor the purpose of this article, when I talk about optimizing website for search engines, I’ll be referring to Google. While there are several well knows search engines in use today, I will use Google as a reference point for all search engine optimization efforts. Why? Simply because Google takes more than 90% market share compared to other search engines such as Bing or Yahoo!. Google dominates the market and that’s the reason any savvy business owner wants to make his or hers website Google-friendly. And the way to do that is with search engine optimization (SEO). I’ve talked about SEO before, so I won’t go into details here, but here’s a quick recap:SEO is the process of optimizing your online content, so that search engines show it at the top of the search engine page results (SERP). Search engine optimization includes various methods and techniques that you can use to achieve this goal, broadly divided in on-page SEO (things you can optimize on your website to make it more search-friendly), and off-page SEO (promotional techniques used outside of the website itself, like link-building, social media promotion etc.). SEO principles are the foundation on which your website must be built if you want it to rank high in Google. Building strong site architecture and providing clear navigation will help search engines to index your website quickly and easily. More importantly, this will also provide visitors with good user experience and encourage them to return to the site. Let’s take a look at some of the most important elements you should concentrate on when you decide to create a website.
Create a website that has all these elements
1) Relevancy and quality of your contentSearch engines try to provide the most relevant results to a user’s query. If you’re producing content on your website (and you should), you must concentrate on providing the best user experience you can. Focus on user intent instead on keyword stuffing, or any of other outdates SEO techniques. Think of what content your visitors would like to consume (blog posts, videos, webinars etc.) and create them. The better the content, the more satisfied users you will have – and this will reflect positively on your search rankings.
2) Optimized title tags and meta descriptionsAlthough SEO is moving away from technical nuisance and moving towards focusing on providing the best user experience possible, some technical optimization is still worth the effort. Title tags are used to tell search engines and visitors what your site is about in the most concise and accurate way possible. The keywords in your title tag show up highlighted in search engine results (if the query uses those keywords), as well as in your browser tab and when sharing your site externally. Make sure that every one of your title tags is descriptive, unique, and catered to your targeted keywords. Meta descriptions are not that relevant for search engines anymore, but they are still important since they explain what the webpage is about to the users.
3) Domain nameA domain name is also important for both SEO efforts and user experience. Obviously, if you have a business, your domain name will most likely be the name of your company. Still, you may try alternative domain names if you want to promote a brand consisting of several companies, for example. Keyword placement in domain name may lead to closer scrutiny from Google, so try to avoid that. You should use sub-directory root domains (example.com/category/seo) instead of sub-domains (example.category.seo.com) as this is better for your overall site architecture.
4) Schema markupSchema markup is code (semantic vocabulary) that you put on your website to help the search engines return more informative results for users. When a website has schema markup in place, users can see in the SERPs what a website is all about, where they are, what they do, how much stuff costs, plus plenty of other stuff. Some people have taken to calling schema markup “your virtual business card.” Here's an example:
5) Internal linkingInternal linking refers to placing relevant links to your other content. It gives the users more content to read, and it may lead to higher trust signals for Google. So create a website that has a lot of internal links. Some of internal linking benefits:
- It provides your audience with further reading options
- Google can easily crawl and index your website
- It helps you rank more easily for certain keywords
Ending thoughtsThere are so many ways to create a website, and so many elements to keep in mind that it can sometimes be discouraging to even start creating one. However, if you keep these key elements in mind, you’re already on your way to creating a quality website that will rank high in Google. If you feel stuck, or if you have any questions on how any of the elements should be implemented, contact us today and let us see how we can help you.
Best practices for building a website mockup and prototype
Often, things we imagine in our heads that seem great regularly turn out to be bad ideas when we put them in the real world, such as a piece of paper or a computer screen. They say that the picture is worth a thousand words. What if this is not just a picture but a…
Favicon: How it Impacts Web Design
We can find icons everywhere in our everyday lives: from road signs, store logos, to our laptop keyboards. Images help us interpret information better. Since getting the right information as fast as possible is crucial when dealing with internet technologies, it’s no wonder that icons are an integral part of web design, as well.In this…
Website Logo Mistakes – And How to Avoid Them
The logo is arguably the most essential aspect of any brand to get right. It’s purpose is to show the personality of a brand and instantly convey what the company does at a glance.Website is the first place where your logo is presented to customers. It is the most critical place for your logo to…
Elements of Good SEO Check
SEO Check is an audit process to check all elements important for the search engine ranking. It is essential to perform this process to better understand what improvements need to be made to realize the full potential of your existing content.There are few different elements that need to be reviewed and evaluated. As a result,…