How to Create a Successful WordPress Blog in 5 Simple Steps
- 6 min read
- Karla Sambolić
Creating your online presence through a blog is a fun and rewarding experience. But if you take a look at all the available technology and see the mistakes some people make, you may find yourself wondering if blogging is right for you?It probably is, you just have to follow some simple guidelines I’ll provide in this post and you’ll be well on the way to creating a successful WordPress blog.
Luckily, in 2017, creating a blog is easier than ever. It used to require a lot of technical skills like coding in HTML, CSS and PHP, but today starting a blog can be done really fast, in under 30 minutes.
A blog is a type of website that focuses mainly on written content (blog posts). You may have heard about celebrity blogs or news blogs, but blogs can be about anything really. A blog can be anything from a personal blog about how to care for your pet turtles to a corporate blog of an international organization.
What is a blog anyway?
It all depends on the reasons behind blogging: someone may create a blog out of passion, someone will try to earn money with blogging, and a business may start a blog as a part of their content marketing strategy – to connect with their customers.If it seems that everybody’s blogging, that’s because it’s true.
According to this data for 2016, 6.7 million people blog on blogging sites and 12 million people blog via social media networks (Facebook posts etc.).
It’s also important to note that companies that blog regularly (at least once a week), have a 126% increase in lead generation.In other words, blogging can get a lot of traffic to your site, regardless if you’re blogging out of passion or a part of a business strategy.
How to create a blogThere are five steps you have to take in order to start a blog. I’ll guide you through each one (don’t worry, they’re not hard).
Here they are:
- Choose a blogging platform
- Register a domain name and hosting
- Design your blog
- Start adding content (blog posts)
- Start growing your blog
1. Choose a blogging platformBefore you start blogging you have to choose a blogging platform. The title of this article already betrays our choice – WordPress.Why WordPress?Well, although there are many platforms to choose from out there (Joomla, Drupal, Tumbler etc), WordPress is usually the best choice for most bloggers.
Over 72 million active users are using WordPress. Around 30% of all sites on the internet run on WordPress.
Those are some impressive numbers.
People choose WordPress because it is:
- Easy to set up
- Highly customizable
2. Register a domain name and hostingOk, so you have chosen WordPress to be your blogging platform, what now?You should definitely self-host your blog. What does that mean? It means that you should avoid blogging sites to publish your content. Not only they can be unreliable, you basically give up some of the rights to your content if you publish on them.
So it’s best to self-host your WordPress blog.Registering a domain name and getting a web hosting is the part that probably takes the longest – but not because it’s hard, but because of the fact that you first have to come up with a name for your blog.
Let me explain two terms:
- Domain name is the name of your website. For example, www.Google.com or www.mytraveladventures.com
- Web hosting is the home of your blog, so to speak. It’s a web server that stores all the data you publish on your blog (text, pictures etc.) and enables you to use your domain name.
Here’s a look at how web hosting works.
After you have done that, you need to install WordPress on your server. That’s easily done by following the instructions your web host provides (it usually takes single click and couple of minutes to do it).
3. Design your blogCongratulations, you now have a blog!But a new blog is never a masterpiece of design…it’s almost a blank page. So now it’s time to start with some basic design to give the blog a nice look.Start by logging in your WordPress dashboard.
Select “Appearance”>>”Themes” and you’ll see a menu where you can preview installed themes, or search for and install new ones.Simply search for new themes through the menu and when you find one you look, click on “Install”. After the theme has been installed you can edit a lot of elements, depending on what you like (the level of customization available depends on the theme).
You can also buy premium themes, but for now, free themes will work fine.
4. Start adding contentThe whole point of having a blog is to produce content – to write down and publish your thoughts and opinions on various topics, and reach your audience with it.So after you’ve designed your blog, it’s time to start with the first post. In the dashboard click on “Posts”>>”Add New” and start writing!
You can edit your text through the WordPress editor, add images or videos, and do a whole lot of other things.Once you’re done with your post, click on “Publish” and that’s it – your very first post will be online for everyone to see.
5. Start growing your blogThis is the last step in our guide, but it’s actually more of an ongoing process. Once you start creating content it’s time to start attracting your audience.After all, the whole point of blogging is to reach your audience with your content.
You can start by creating an About me and Contact pages, you your audience gets to know you better. After some time, you can contact other bloggers in your niche and ask them if maybe you can write a post for them – that’s called guest posting, and it’s a great way to build an audience.
You can also start promoting your blog through social media platforms like Facebook to reach new readers.The most important thing is to continue to create valuable content which will attract the right audience to your blog.
ConclusionSo here you are – five simple steps you need to take to create a successful WordPress blog.Use this information to start your own blog, or if you’re interested in growing your business with blogging, contact us today and we’ll see how we can help you out.
Inbound Marketing: What Is It and Why You Should Use It
If you’re reading this you’re probably thinking about implementing inbound marketing methods in your business. In this post I’ll show you what inbound marketing is, what the three stages of inbound process are, and what makes up a good inbound strategy. Inbound marketing is the process of attracting visitors before they are ready to buy…
9 principles of Material Design
Material design is a design language created by Google in Summer 2014. It is made for Android to create better foundation for user interfaces. With features and natural motions, it mimics real-world objects.Although it primarily focuses on touch-based app design, it is also effective in web design. This article will cover some of the essential…
How to Conduct Web Design Review
Before launching any web design project, you might want to check with a review if everything is in order from the design aspect. There is a collective sense that design is a matter of taste and preferences. By that logic, you could color your website any way you like. That couldn’t be any further from…
Best practices for building a website mockup and prototype
Often, things we imagine in our heads that seem great regularly turn out to be bad ideas when we put them in the real world, such as a piece of paper or a computer screen. They say that the picture is worth a thousand words. What if this is not just a picture but a…