What is Guerrilla Marketing?
- 6 min read
- Karla Sambolić
Guerrilla marketing typesHere’s a list of the most common guerrilla marketing types:
- Graffiti: Graffiti marketing uses city streets and alleyways as a giant canvas. While smaller, more covert operations will make their mark wherever they want, for most businesses it’s recommended to get permission from a property owner before they start their activities.
- Viral/buzz marketing: any strategy that encourages individuals to pass on a marketing message to others, creating the potential for exponential growth in the message’s exposure and influence. Off the Internet, viral marketing has been referred to as "word-of-mouth", "creating a buzz", "leveraging the media". On the Internet, it's called "viral marketing"
- Undercover/stealth marketing: In this type of marketing, marketers disguise themselves as peers amongst their target audience, and spread the word about their products.
- Flash mobs: Flash mobs involve organizing a group of individuals to perform a specific action or task at a pre-determined location and time. In some cases participants are hired actors, other times they are simply members of the community who enjoy the randomness of flash mobs.
Pros and cons of guerrilla marketingThere are several benefits and advantages guerrilla marketing has over traditional marketing (there are some disadvantages as well). Let’s begin by taking a look at the advantages:
Pros of guerrilla marketing
It’s budget-friendly. Guerrilla marketing tactics are a lot cheaper than traditional advertising methods.
- Allows for creative thinking. In this type of marketing, imagination is more important than budget.
- Brand associations and publicity. With guerrilla marketing you can get a lot of free publicity and create positive brand associations among your audience.
Cons of guerrilla marketing
It can be difficult to measure the effectiveness in terms of ROI
- It can be misunderstood by the audience.
- There’s a potential for a backlash if the campaigns are not executed well.
Examples of guerrilla marketingHere are some famous examples of guerrilla advertising done right.
Red Bull skydiving stunt
King Kong 3D footprints
Axe exit signs
ConclusionGuerrilla marketing can be a great way to reach the public without spending much on advertising. If you use it effectively you can delight your audience and make them a part of your brand, but you have to make sure they understand the message correctly. This kind of marketing can be really useful to startups and small businesses that don’t have large marketing budgets, but large companies often use them as well, as you can see in the examples above. It’s all about breaking away from traditional marketing methods and creating a lasting impression with the audience. If you need any help, contact us and we'll be glad to help you.
Best practices for building a website mockup and prototype
Often, things we imagine in our heads that seem great regularly turn out to be bad ideas when we put them in the real world, such as a piece of paper or a computer screen. They say that the picture is worth a thousand words. What if this is not just a picture but a…
Favicon: How it Impacts Web Design
We can find icons everywhere in our everyday lives: from road signs, store logos, to our laptop keyboards. Images help us interpret information better. Since getting the right information as fast as possible is crucial when dealing with internet technologies, it’s no wonder that icons are an integral part of web design, as well.In this…
Website Logo Mistakes – And How to Avoid Them
The logo is arguably the most essential aspect of any brand to get right. It’s purpose is to show the personality of a brand and instantly convey what the company does at a glance.Website is the first place where your logo is presented to customers. It is the most critical place for your logo to…
Elements of Good SEO Check
SEO Check is an audit process to check all elements important for the search engine ranking. It is essential to perform this process to better understand what improvements need to be made to realize the full potential of your existing content.There are few different elements that need to be reviewed and evaluated. As a result,…