How to Conduct Web Design Review
- 6 min read
Good website design has to fulfill your business objective and make sure that your visitors will not turn away. In this article, we will go through web design review checklist which will cover all design and user experience aspects of your website.
On the internet, the first impression is crucial for successful conversion. Nowadays Internet users browse through too many websites to devote any particular attention to each one. Because of that, be sure that your website has a positive impact on visitors. Here are the essential criteria, which your homepage must fulfill:
- Hero visuals – Image, animation or video could be the main visual on your homepage. It should drive a visitor’s focus and grab their attention. You can achieve that with a striking image or exciting video that shows your product or service.
- Right message – With the right message, visitors can identify what your site is about in five seconds or less.
- Call to action – There should be at least one call to action. If your website pursues multiple types of actions, place that amount of call-to-actions aswell.
- Invoking emotion – Does your website invokes feelings and impressions you want your visitor to experience? Try to enter your website with a clear mind and as if you are first time visitor.
- Clear next step – Visitor should be able to see exactly where to go next from the main page.
Navigation and structure
When you are creating your website, you know what actions and objectives would be for your visitors – buy a product, write a post, subscribe, find specific info, etc. Visitors should be able to get to their goal as quickly as possible. For that, you should have a clear structure and navigation on your website. Here are some checkmarks you should consider to watch an eye for:
- Road map – Content in your main menu should be grouped into several distinct categories. Useful websites have not more than 5-6-top-level categories. Studies suggest that an average person is capable of keeping four subjects in their short-term memory.
- Breadcrumbs – Users should always know where exactly on the website they are and how they got there. Breadcrumbs are an excellent way to go.
- Consistency – Header, footer, and logo should be the same all over your website. Exceptions are possible only on your main page if you want to act as a cover.
- Search box – Despite how simple your navigation is, some users like to type in what they want to find on your website.
UX rules and patterns should be researched, and they allow little to none creativity.
Buttons on your website represent actions. Users should get a clear idea of what steps they would take by clicking on them. While, links, on the other hand, take the user to a certain section of the content. Ideal links should hint on what’s behind it. Confusing those two elements result in a perplexed visitor.
Every website uses forms as a mean for visitors to enter their data. Forms consist of fields, boxes, buttons, and drop-downs. They all have to be arranged correctly.
Check, and radio boxes should be used properly. Checkbox presumes a yes-or-no option. If it’s checked, it’s yes. If not, it’s a no. Radio box provides choice among multiple options, usually more than two.
When you want your visitor to accomplish something on your website, give them multiple options to do that. A button could be on the bottom as well as on top of the page. First action should be accessible from numerous pages.
Visuals are what grabs the user’s attention. It should make them want to stay and explore your website. With the right selection of images, icons, animations, and video content you can occupy the user’s attention.
Every image should generate added value to the material it illustrates. Best way to go is to use your images, or the ones that are made specifically for the project. While uploading images to your website make sure they are optimized. No one likes waiting too long for pictures to load. Make sure your pictures do not slow down your website.
Logo position should be in the top-left corner of your website. Studies show that centered logos confuse users and degrade the user experience.
Make sure your icons look like they belong to a single set. Different images will make your website look inconsistent and confusing.
Text and textual content
Lousy typography can nullify visual artworks on your website. To focus visitor’s attention on what’s essential use three levels of headers. Studies show that three level header system is best suited for most websites.
There should not be more than two font families. Also, the font should be at least 14pt so that readability is good for everyone. For long text, there should be “show more” and “show lees” options. You should not overburden your visitors with the long scroll.
A good website should talk to its visitors. Elements on you should interact with the user’s actions. Modern websites highlight essential elements on mouse-over. That can be applied to buttons, menu sections or page transition links. Make sure your website is not a static picture and responds to the user’s gestures.
Scrolling should not be limited only to scroll. Elements should react to scrolling – fading out, changing color, position or shape.
Also, your website should be adaptive to at least three screen resolutions. Mobile, tablet, and desktop is the way to go. Ideal websites look like an app on mobiles, lite-version on tablets and full version on desktops.
At this point, you should be able to pinpoint all the issues on your website and improve them. For maximum usability and user experience, you should always check if everything is in order before launching your website. If you have any questions about Design Review, please do not hesitate to contact us.
What to do if you end up on the Yandex Blacklist
Yandex is a russian international corporation specializing in internet services and products. It is incorporated in the Netherlands and primary used by the public in Russia. Yandex is ranked as the 4th largest search engine in the world. Yandex’s main competitors on the Russian market are Google, Mail.ru, and Rambler.Yandex Safe BrowsingYandex Safe Browsing verifies…
E-Commerce Testing (WooComerce, Magento)
Since its introduction, the Internet has rapidly gained more and more popularity to the point where it is absolutely the go-to media of today. Everybody is online on a daily basis, be it surfing the web, reading the news, hanging out on social media or even conducting a business. It has come to the point…
How critical user journey can help your website
Critical user journey is a path that user may take to reach their goal when using a particular website. When designing websites, user journeys are used to identify the different ways to enable the user to achieve their goal as quickly and easily as possible.The example below shows a webshop that provides food for pets….
Affiliate Marketing: What Is It and How to Get Started
You’ve probably heard about many types of marketing: inbound marketing, pay-per-click, email marketing, social media marketing and so on. So now you may be wondering: what’s affiliate marketing? To put it in simple terms:Affiliate Marketing is a system where you as an affiliate make money by promoting other people’s products and receiving a commission for…