How to Download and Install WordPress
- 6 min read
- Karla Sambolić
In his article you will learn how to download and install WordPress.WordPress is the easiest and most powerful blogging and website content management system in existence today.
Although there are many content management systems to choose from out there (Joomla, Drupal etc), WordPress is usually the best choice for most people. Over 72 million active users are using WordPress. Around 30% of all sites on the internet run on WordPress.
Let’s take a quick look why WordPress is the best choice for creating websites.
- It’s easy to install. Most hosting services have one click installation options for WordPress given the number of people who use it.
- Open source. This means it’s free and used by a lot of people. Aside from cutting down on expenses, this also means that there’s a large community behind it, so if you get stuck with something, you can always ask people to help you out.
- Ideal for non tech-savvy entrepreneurs who want to establish their online presence in a quick and cost-effective way.
- Highly customizable. You can download a lot of free (or paid) themes and have them installed on your website in minutes.
Before you begin, you have to choose between using WordPress.com or WordPress.org. They are actually two different platforms.What’s the difference?
WordPress.com or WordPress.org?
In short, one is a completely free version, and the other has some costs associated with it (hosting), but offers more options.Let’s take a look at both of them.
WordPress.com platform is good for hobby bloggers, students and freelancers. The basic packages is free, and everything is set up for you immediately – enabling you to focus on creating content without having to worry about the technical side.
On the other hand, there are some serious disadvantages with this platform:
- The platform will immediately place ads on your website (even if you don’t want them to), and they will take all the revenues from the ads for themselves. That’s a big problem if you have a website with a lot of traffic and you want to earn something by selling ad space.
- You cannot upload custom themes or plugins. You will have access to a lot of predefined themes and some plugins, but if you want to customize your website the way you want it, you will have to pay to upgrade on some of the paid plans (and even then, your customization options won’t be that great)
- com does not offer any eCommerce features or integrated payment gateways. So if you’re thinking of opening a webshop for your small business, you won’t be able to.
WordPress.orgWordPress.org platform is 100% open source and free for everyone to use. However, you will have to pay for dedicated hosting, but that usually costs less than 10€ per month.
Here are the main benefits of using WordPress.org to build your website:
- You have full control over your website. This is the crucial benefit WordPress.org offers – if you use it, you will complete control over your website’s design, themes, plugins you choose to install, advertisement methods (if you decided to use them), and so on.
- You can make money from your website be selling ad space, selling your products through a webshop, or by using any other method of earning money online.
- You own your website and its data completely.
You can check out a handy infographic about pros and cons of both platforms here, but I highly recommend self-hosted WordPress.org.
I’ll assume you’ve chosen WordPress.org as your CMS. There are two ways to download and install it, and start building your website:
Download and install WordPress
- Automatically (usually through a 1-click install process provided by all major web hosts)
Prior to installing WordPress through a webhost, you must complete these two steps:
- Register a domain name
- Choose a hosting provider
Click on Install WordPress icon or 1-click Install. They will both take you to the MOJO Marketplace where you will see an overview about WordPress with an Install button. You need to click on the install button to continue.
MOJO Marketplace will now ask you where you want to install WordPress. Simply select your domain name from the dropdown menu and click on the check domain button.The final step is to name your website, choose your main email address associated with the website and so on. Once you’re done, click on the Install button.
Your installation will begin, and you will be able to see a progress bar. It will take only a few minutes. You need to wait on this page for it to finish.
Congratulations, you have just downloaded and installed WordPress!You can log in to your admin dashboard, and start optimizing your new website.
Downloading and installing WordPress is not that hard. I always recommend using self-hosted WordPress.org as the best option if you’re a serious freelancer, small business owner, or if you sell products online.
If you need help with creating a WordPress website, contact us today, and we’ll be glad to help you out.
What to do if you end up on the Yandex Blacklist
Yandex is a russian international corporation specializing in internet services and products. It is incorporated in the Netherlands and primary used by the public in Russia. Yandex is ranked as the 4th largest search engine in the world. Yandex’s main competitors on the Russian market are Google, Mail.ru, and Rambler.Yandex Safe BrowsingYandex Safe Browsing verifies…
E-Commerce Testing (WooComerce, Magento)
Since its introduction, the Internet has rapidly gained more and more popularity to the point where it is absolutely the go-to media of today. Everybody is online on a daily basis, be it surfing the web, reading the news, hanging out on social media or even conducting a business. It has come to the point…
How critical user journey can help your website
Critical user journey is a path that user may take to reach their goal when using a particular website. When designing websites, user journeys are used to identify the different ways to enable the user to achieve their goal as quickly and easily as possible.The example below shows a webshop that provides food for pets….
Affiliate Marketing: What Is It and How to Get Started
You’ve probably heard about many types of marketing: inbound marketing, pay-per-click, email marketing, social media marketing and so on. So now you may be wondering: what’s affiliate marketing? To put it in simple terms:Affiliate Marketing is a system where you as an affiliate make money by promoting other people’s products and receiving a commission for…