Why Internet Marketing is Crucial in Modern Business
- 6 min read
- Karla Sambolić
Things you'll learn if you read this post to the end:
- What is internet marketing
- Major internet marketing channels
- How to get started with internet marketing
Think about it, how much time do you spend online each day? Even if you're not really into technology, you still probably check your emails daily, you probably log in to Facebook to see what your friends and family are up to from time to time, and so on.
Average person spends more than 5 hours per day using the internet. This includes various activities, during which people can be exposed to internet advertisement. People spend around 2 hours daily on social media alone.
We'll take a look at more interesting statistics later, but even from this information two things are obvious.
- People spend a lot of time online
- They are constantly exposed to advertisement when they are online
I'll keep things short and simple.
What is internet marketing?
Internet marketing is a form of marketing which uses the internet to deliver marketing messages to consumers.
In other words, internet marketing is any marketing activity that requires internet to deliver its message. It's a set of tools and strategies used to promote a business through online channels. That's why its also called online marketing, online advertising or web advertising.
More than half of the world's population is using the internet. Its effects on global connectivity are enormous - people from all around the world have access to free communication and information. Internet impacts all aspects of our lives, including business.That's why online marketing budgets are increasing year after year.
According to this survey, 70% of small and medium businesses say that that their online marketing budgets will increase. Of that group, 30% say that their budgets will increase considerably.More and more companies recognize the necessity of having an online presence (website, blog etc.) and using digital channels to reach their consumers.
There are many channels through which a company can reach its audience.
Major internet marketing channels
- Search engine optimization (SEO). SEO is a strategy of unpaid promotion by trying to rank as highly as possible in search engine results page (SERP), for certain keywords.
- Search engine marketing (SEM). SEM is a form of marketing that uses paid promotion (ads) that display in search engine results, or are placed in specific parts of various websites (banners).
- Affiliate marketing. This type of marketing is based on revenue-sharing. A business pays an online retailer for each sale they make through his recommendation.
- Content marketing. A cornerstone of modern marketing, it includes publishing content on a company’s website to attract visitors and turn them into customers. Blogging is the most famous example of content marketing.
- Social media marketing. It’s a process of promoting a business through social media platforms such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+, Instagram etc.
- Pay-per-click (PPC) advertising. This form of marketing is similar to search engine marketing but not limited to display ads on Google and other search platforms. For example, a common PPC channel is Facebook advertising.
- E-mail marketing. The oldest form of online marketing, it’s all about using e-mail to directly reach customers and promote a business.
There are many choices to make before you can start defining your marketing strategies.Let's see how you can get started.
The first thing you have to do is to define your marketing goals. Do you want more traffic for your website and raise brand awareness? Do you want more paying customers, and you're ready to invest in PPC advertising? Maybe you want to build thought leadership and authority with content marketing?
How to get started with internet marketing
There are many possible ways to achieve your objectives, but you have to know what they are in the first place. A lot of companies have trouble with defining their marketing goals, and that's why they usually fail at marketing.
Start by analyzing your current position, and where do you want to be in one year, three year, five years and so on. Then, identify what are your concrete goals, and make sure they're measurable.After you’ve identified your goals, it’s time to start developing your marketing strategy.
After that starting making your first online marketing campaign by using one of the channels listed above, and don’t forget to measure the results.I hope this guide has helped you understand what online marketing is, and how you can benefit from it.
If you need help with your online marketing efforts, contact us today for a free consultation. We'll help you determined your marketing goals, and plan the best strategies to achieve them.
Inbound Marketing: What Is It and Why You Should Use It
If you’re reading this you’re probably thinking about implementing inbound marketing methods in your business. In this post I’ll show you what inbound marketing is, what the three stages of inbound process are, and what makes up a good inbound strategy. Inbound marketing is the process of attracting visitors before they are ready to buy…
9 principles of Material Design
Material design is a design language created by Google in Summer 2014. It is made for Android to create better foundation for user interfaces. With features and natural motions, it mimics real-world objects.Although it primarily focuses on touch-based app design, it is also effective in web design. This article will cover some of the essential…
How to Conduct Web Design Review
Before launching any web design project, you might want to check with a review if everything is in order from the design aspect. There is a collective sense that design is a matter of taste and preferences. By that logic, you could color your website any way you like. That couldn’t be any further from…
Best practices for building a website mockup and prototype
Often, things we imagine in our heads that seem great regularly turn out to be bad ideas when we put them in the real world, such as a piece of paper or a computer screen. They say that the picture is worth a thousand words. What if this is not just a picture but a…