How to Create a WordPress Website in 3 Simple Steps
- 6 min read
- Karla Sambolić
Modern websites have to meet the highest design standards, be optimized for latest Google algorithms and offer end users a unique and engaging experience. Luckily, there’s a platform that offers all that, and that’s WordPress.
WordPress is a free content management system (CMS) that enables you to have your own website without creating it from scratch. CMS is software that is installed on your host’s server.
Your host provider will likely have a one click installation process to help you get your CMS installed. Once it is installed, you can log in to your site as the admin and add photos, text and other content.
You can use the content you’ve added to create blog posts and other forms of content like a product page or display a work portfolio on your website.
Why use WordPress?Although there are many content management systems to choose from out there (Joomla, Drupal etc), WordPress is usually the best choice for most people. Over 72 million active users are using WordPress.
Around 30% of all sites on the internet run on WordPress. If you’re reading this guide you’ve probably already decided to build your website on WordPress. But in case you’re still weighing your options, let’s take a quick look why WordPress is the best choice for creating websites.
- It’s easy to install. Most hosting services have one click installation options for WordPress given the number of people who use it.
- Open source. This means it’s free and used by a lot of people. Aside from cutting down on expenses, this also means that there’s a large community behind it, so if you get stuck with something, you can always ask people to help you out.
- Ideal for non tech-savvy entrepreneurs who want to establish their online presence in a quick and cost-effective way.
- Highly customizable. You can download a lot of free (or paid) themes and have them installed on your website in minutes.
WordPress offers a lot more benefits, but these are the crucial ones. WordPress is easy to install and set up, it gives you access to a large community of enthusiasts who can help you, and it’s easily customizable so you can make your website look the way you want it.
Creating a WordPress websiteThere are 3 steps to creating a website using WordPress.
1. Choose your hosting and domain nameThe first decision you have to make is to choose between using WordPress.com (free) and WordPress.org (paid, self-hosted).
Despite the fact that the first choice requires no expenses, I highly recommend choosing self-hosted WordPress.Why? First of all, average costs for hosting a website are around 10€ per month, which is negligible. On the other hand, the benefits are many.
One of the main benefits is the ability to choose your own domain name. If you decide to go with the free option, your domain name will have to include wordpress.com as the extension. So your domain name will be yourwebsitename.wordpress.com. If you’re a hobby blogger, that may be ok, but if you’re a business owner of any kind, this will look unprofessional.
By choosing the WordPress.org option you can have any domain you want (if it is available) and the extension you want. For example, you can have a website called yourwebsite.com. To get your site up and running, you first have to come up with a name for your website and register it.
Let me explain two terms:
- Domain name is the name of your website. For example, www.Google.com or www.mytraveladventures.com
- Web hosting is the home of your website, so to speak. It’s a web server that stores all the data you publish on your website (text, pictures etc.) and enables you to use your domain name.
2. Install WordPressThis is the easiest part. Log in to your hosting dashboard, look for the WordPress icon.
3. Configure your new websiteCongratulation, you now a WordPress website. The last thing you need to do before you start creating content is to configure your new website.
First you need select your theme. You can choose from hundreds of free theme by search the WordPress theme library, or you can go to sites like Theme Forest to buy premium themes. They are usually worth the cost since they will be coded professionally, with the latest development standards in mind.
The choice of plugins depends on what kind of website you’re creating (ecommerce, blog etc.) Aside from themes and plugins, you can configure various options in the settings tab. Once you’re done with that, it’s time to start creating content!
ConclusionWordPress is one of the content management systems out there, especially for people who don’t have the time to learn to code. You can set up a WordPress website in an hour and start creating your content immediately after that.
I hope you know understand the basics of creating a WordPress website. However, the basics I’ve covered here are not enough if you want to create a competitive website, especially if you’re in ecommerce business. Don’t hesitate to contact us today if you need help with creating a modern, high converting website.
Best practices for building a website mockup and prototype
Often, things we imagine in our heads that seem great regularly turn out to be bad ideas when we put them in the real world, such as a piece of paper or a computer screen. They say that the picture is worth a thousand words. What if this is not just a picture but a…
Favicon: How it Impacts Web Design
We can find icons everywhere in our everyday lives: from road signs, store logos, to our laptop keyboards. Images help us interpret information better. Since getting the right information as fast as possible is crucial when dealing with internet technologies, it’s no wonder that icons are an integral part of web design, as well.In this…
Website Logo Mistakes – And How to Avoid Them
The logo is arguably the most essential aspect of any brand to get right. It’s purpose is to show the personality of a brand and instantly convey what the company does at a glance.Website is the first place where your logo is presented to customers. It is the most critical place for your logo to…
Elements of Good SEO Check
SEO Check is an audit process to check all elements important for the search engine ranking. It is essential to perform this process to better understand what improvements need to be made to realize the full potential of your existing content.There are few different elements that need to be reviewed and evaluated. As a result,…