What is Online Marketing and How Can You Benefit From It?
- 6 min read
- Karla Sambolić
Online marketing can be defined as a set of tools and strategies used for promoting products and services on the Internet.This type of marketing includes a wider range of marketing elements and channels compared to traditional marketing due to the complexities of the web.
In this article I’ll talk about what are:
- the elements of online marketing,
- what benefits it can bring to your business and
- how to get started with it.
Before online marketing, the cost of marketing products or services was much greater, and it was almost impossible to measure the effects the advertisement had. How can one measure if a radio commercial is successful? Online marketing changed all that, bringing tools to measure and analyze marketing campaign performance.
Today, anyone with an online (or offline business, for that matter) business can engage in online marketing to promote his products or services by building a website and starting to advertise online.
Let’s take a look at various online marketing channels.
Online marketing channels
- Search engine optimization (SEO). SEO is a strategy of unpaid promotion by trying to rank as highly as possible in search engine results page (SERP), for certain keywords.
- Search engine marketing (SEM). SEM is a form of marketing that uses paid promotion (ads) that display in search engine results, or are placed in specific parts of various websites (banners).
- Affiliate marketing. This type of marketing is based on revenue-sharing. A business pays an online retailer for each sale they make through his recommendation.
- Content marketing. A cornerstone of modern marketing, it includes publishing content on a company’s website to attract visitors and turn them into customers. Blogging is the most famous example of content marketing.
- Social media marketing. It’s a process of promoting a business through social media platforms such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+, Instagram etc.
- Pay-per-click (PPC) advertisement. This form of marketing is similar to search engine marketing but not limited to display ads on Google and other search platforms. For example, a common PPC channel is Facebook advertising.
- E-mail marketing. The oldest form of online marketing, it’s all about using e-mail to directly reach customers and promote a business.
Online marketing can bring many benefits to a business.
Online marketing benefits
- Ability to measure the impact of all channels. This is probably the most important benefit online marketing has, especially when compared to traditional marketing.For example, with analytics tools you can see how many visitors have come to your site, how long they’ve stayed, what pages have they visited and so on. You can easily calculate how profitable each channels is, and what you need to do to improve it.
- Reduced costs. Since you can easily measure the effectiveness of your every channel and campaign, you can focus on the most profitable ones and ignore the rest. This leads to reduced marketing costs.
- Gone are the days of mass marketing. With modern targeting tools, marketers can reach individual customers with personalized offers. For example, you can collect data which shows that a customer has been checking out your webshop product and use this data to target them with discounts through e-mail. This often leads to higher revenue.
By now you realize that online marketing is a great way to reach your customers.
How to get started with online marketing
But how do you start with online marketing?The first thing you have to do is define your goals and make sure they’re measurable. Without this, you won’t be able to track your performance.
Some examples of online marketing goals:
- Get 100 new customers next month
- Increase email sign-ups by 20% in three months
- Increase traffic to your website by 10% this month
After you’ve identified your goals, it’s time to start developing your marketing strategy. After that starting making your first online marketing campaign by using one of the channels listed above, and don’t forget to measure the results.
I hope this guide has helped you understand what online marketing is, and how you can benefit from it. If you need help with your online marketing efforts, contact us today and we’ll help you.
What to do if you end up on the Yandex Blacklist
Yandex is a russian international corporation specializing in internet services and products. It is incorporated in the Netherlands and primary used by the public in Russia. Yandex is ranked as the 4th largest search engine in the world. Yandex’s main competitors on the Russian market are Google, Mail.ru, and Rambler.Yandex Safe BrowsingYandex Safe Browsing verifies…
E-Commerce Testing (WooComerce, Magento)
Since its introduction, the Internet has rapidly gained more and more popularity to the point where it is absolutely the go-to media of today. Everybody is online on a daily basis, be it surfing the web, reading the news, hanging out on social media or even conducting a business. It has come to the point…
How critical user journey can help your website
Critical user journey is a path that user may take to reach their goal when using a particular website. When designing websites, user journeys are used to identify the different ways to enable the user to achieve their goal as quickly and easily as possible.The example below shows a webshop that provides food for pets….
Affiliate Marketing: What Is It and How to Get Started
You’ve probably heard about many types of marketing: inbound marketing, pay-per-click, email marketing, social media marketing and so on. So now you may be wondering: what’s affiliate marketing? To put it in simple terms:Affiliate Marketing is a system where you as an affiliate make money by promoting other people’s products and receiving a commission for…